Monday, February 15, 2010

Why are skinny jeans really called skinny???

Shopping in Spain

Let me first start off by saying 1. I have no fashion sense (and I own it). 2. The idea that some Jeans are called skinny kind of weird’s me out. And 3. Because I only have 3 pairs of pants and 3 T-shirts here in Spain I have already disqualified myself from writing this blog, but I will continue any way.

Kristyn has very delicately communicated to me over the last few months that it may be time to update my wardrobe, but I didn’t know how bad it was until I realized that she was hesitating to walk beside me when we left the house. To her credit I was wearing “what I thought was a very creative ensemble” of random mismatched clothes. But as I look back, it might have been over the top.

Because of these ever increasing “creative expressions” we decided to go out and try to update/replace some of my clothes. I quickly learned that my typical way of shopping would not be useful. For me, I consider it a successful shopping trip if I can spend less then 15 minutes in any one store, this includes waiting in line and paying for the garment.

So, after I made the switch in my mind I proceeded to let Kristyn help me pick out some jeans. We both decided that this was the most pressing need. As we began to look around and grab different jeans to try on I soon headed off to the changing room to see what treasures we had found. As I tried on the first pair I realized that this was going to be harder then it looked. For one, Europeans love very tight clothes and finding a pair of jeans that were not labeled skinny proved to be challenging.

I should say that it was around this time that I began to realize what “skinny jeans” actually were and why they were called skinny! I will spare you the details and simply say that it wasn’t a fun experience trying to get in and out of these torture devices.

The hardest part was then finding a pair of jeans that would pass both of our criteria. For Kristyn they needed to look like they were European jeans purchased in Spain. For me they needed to fit! After what seemed like an eternity (45 min.) we finally left the store with jeans in hand. Though we did end up paying an extra 10 euros because of a labeling mistake. All in all it was a very educational experience and one that will remain ingrained on my mind for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, Tim. I'm not sure how "creative" you could get with 3 pants and 3 shirts but I'm looking forward to seeing you slightly more European and slightly less American-hobo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men see shopping at hunting, find it, kill it and leave. Women are gatherers, take your time, look everything over and bring it all back with you.

    I look forward to seeing you in some skinny jeans. haha

    ReplyDelete